Very often, we turn to food when we are stressed. We had a bad day at work? Let’s buy Ice Cream on our way home. We need to finish a project by tomorrow? Let’s eat some pizza to have energy. I am sure that you can relate to this and much more. Well, as much as we like to eat all kind of treats, they are not always helping us. As a matter of fact, many of the things that we eat in these moments will do more damage than good. The good news is that there are some aliments that can really relieve stress and bring us back on track.
- Chocolate. Ok, this is a treat for many people, but this does not mean it’s bad. The only thing you need to watch out for is the type of chocolate you eat. Normal chocolate with added sugar will not be so effective, but dark chocolate will be. Try to go for dark chocolate that contains at least 70 % cacao. It has plenty of antioxidants so you don’t have to worry that you will gain weight. Besides, it will trick your brain to release Endorphins; these hormones will literally make you happy!
- Nuts. From peanuts to pistachio, everything is suitable when you have a hard day. They contain healthy fats, so you will not feel hungry and tempted to eat an entire pizza. Besides, you can eat a pretty large quantity without worrying that you will gain weight; you can eat a handful of nuts while you watch TV, or you can add them in your salad or desert.
- Pastry products. You are usually trying to avoid them because they are extremely high in calories in sugar. However, when you are having a really stressful day a donut can really improve your mood. Carbohydrates and sugar make us happy, they give us energy and they keep us optimistic. Make sure that you don’t indulge on them; a few treats per month are more than enough.
- Avocado. You don’t have to like the taste; there are many ways to introduce it in your diet without feeling it. You can put a few pieces of Avocado in your salad, on your toast or even in your smoothies. It has a high content of healthy fats and potassium; this means that you will not feel hungry and your blood pressure will decrease. Isn’t this awesome?
- Chamomile Tea. This will be amazing if you have problems sleeping or you can’t stop thinking about your problems. You can drink it in the evening or morning, plain or with honey. Either way, it will keep your anxiety under control and it will give you some time to relax.