I remember that when I was a teenager, the last thing I wanted to do was to sleep. There were so many exciting things around me, that I was pushing myself to stay up all night. A few years later, and all I want is to sleep, but I can’t! Unlike other conditions, Insomnia is something that can mess up your entire day. You wake up tired, you are irritated all day long and everything annoys you. If this sounds familiar, take a look at the tricks that worked for me!
- Create a sleeping program. One of the mistakes that many people do is not having a sleeping schedule. Think about it like this: your body needs to be trained to sleep on time. To do this, you need to be in bed at the same time every day. No, watching a movie on the couch does not count!
- Establish your routine. One hour before your sleeping time you should start your routine. Take a shower, listen to music, make some Yoga, anything that can help you relax. After a while, these actions will be a sign for your body that you have to go to bed soon. You will start to feel tired and sleepy.
- Learn how to forget. It sounds very dramatic, but it’s actually one of the reasons why you can’t fall asleep. Once you are in bed, you start to remember everything you did wrong in your life. You even remember how you failed your exam in 10th grade. Could you prevent this? It doesn’t matter!! Leave the past where it belongs, and focus on the important things in your life. This will help you relax and sleep without tormenting yourself.
- Don’t eat a heavy dinner. This matters more than you think. A heavy meal means a lot of trouble for your stomach, and you will start to feel sick or bloated. This will not help you fall asleep. Try to keep it light in the evening; some fish and vegetables are more than fine.
- Wear a sleep mask. When I was trying to solve my problems with sleeping I discovered that light was what kept me awake. Even the LED from the TV was too much for me. A sleep mask will keep you in complete dark, and this will be very comforting for you. Besides, you will not wake up with puffy eyes in the morning!