Every woman has troubles with bloating at some point. You eat a heavy meal, and you feel tired right away. It almost seems impossible to eat a slice of pizza at lunch, because you will feel uncomfortable until evening. There are many aliments that slow down our digestive system and cause bloating, but we don’t know about them. Here is how to avoid future discomforts:
- Increase your fiber consumption. I am sure you heard many times how we should eat more fibers to improve our digestion. You don’t know what fibers are? Well, to put it in simple words, it’s the part of the plant that does not get digested by our stomach. It will not do any harm, quite the opposite. It will make us full for longer, it will ease our digestion and it will prevent bloating and digestive problems. Legumes and fruits have plenty of fibers, so start your day with a healthy breakfast.
- Do not abuse dairy products. It might be surprising to you, but most of the people are actually lactose intolerant, except that they don’t know it. Drink one glass of milk and see how you feel; do you feel heavy and full? This is not because milk is such a good aliment, it is because your digestive system does not like it. Eat dairy products in small amounts, and do not combine them with proteins or carbohydrates.
- Drink plenty of water. Yes, I know, you’ve heard this a million times. But it is too important to be neglected! When your body does not receive enough water, it will store the small amount that you drink. Combine this with a lot of sodium (you do eat salty chips, right?) and you will get a bad combination. To be sure that you do not store water and that your digestive system is working right, drink at least 8 glasses of fluids every day. No, soda does not count!
- Be smart when you combine aliments. There are some foods that simply do not work well together, because your stomach can not digest them properly in the same time. The most common example is meat (protein) with carbohydrates (french fries). Now, you can eat anything, as long as you keep it light. Eat your steak with a salad, instead of deep fried onion rings.
- Eat slowly. There are two main reasons why you should not rush to finish your food. First, you need to chew your food very well before swallowing, so you will not force your stomach to work more to digest it. Second, when you eat fast you inevitably swallow air that will go straight in your tummy. Take your time to chew your food, and take small bites. If you apply these simple rules, your bloating problems will be history!